1.07.2005

overwhelmed

before i get into my rant, check out bessie coleman, the first licensed black aviator in the world. she got her license in france in 1919 cos no flying schools in america would accept her, not only b/c she was black, but b/c she was a woman. very gutsy woman whom you rarely see in your usual black history programs.

...and onto the rantage. as i mentioned in my last post, part of the reason for my absence has been my unhappiness with my current blog design.

i'm very particular about what i want. i want a design that fills three criteria:
1. it fits my personality, mood and title of my blog. (therefore, blogs with pastels, pictures of lillies or puppies really isn't gonna work here.)
2. the layout is 3 columns and written with css.
3. it's free.

on my down time at work, i've been looking for templates i can copy the basic structure that i can riff off of, but i must say that i've become overwhelmed; i've seen lots of examples of what i want mine to look like(like here and here) and i even found a skeleton layout that i could soo build my template from, but then i run into the issue of bringing it in so that it works with blogger's tags and header, etc. and i get confus-ed.

to get around blogger issues, i've started flirting with the idea of getting my own domain and a setup like typepad or wordpress or expression or something (i don't even know if they're all the same thing), but even exploring that avenue has me overwhelmed!

when my parents got divorced and my mom was forced to go out in the working world again, she kind of fell into the information systems field. as a result, for almost as long as i can remember, we've had a computer in the house. i was always up on the latest stuff (even if we could afford to have it ourselves) and i was interested in being up on the latest stuff. i taught myself some html and used to be pretty up on the latest stuff.
however, real life (school, then work and girlfriend, friends and family somewhere inbetween) gradually took up a larger chunk of my time that it used to and as i simply search for a template for my blog that fits me, i find i'm way over my head.

too much drama over a small thing? maybe. but this (blogging) isn't necessarily a small thing to me; it's an avenue to find like-minded people outside of who/what i already know, and most importantly, i nice place for me to write and vent. so is it a small thing to want to have control over how said avenue looks?

...and of the same token, i feel like the stupidest person on earth cos i still haven't figured out how trackback links work.