9.28.2004

rainy day for me, but a bad week for others

woke up to rain and dreariness and went back to bed for 30 more minutes.

i hate going to work when it's rainy. rainy days are good for only three things:
1. spring flowers.
2. staying at home and sleeping.
3. staying at home and reading.

it's a dreary day for me, but not exactly bad. but it's been a bad week for my left index finger (aka miss left pointer). i burned her on a pan sunday when i was cooking, and just when she was recovering from that, i sliced her this morning on my umbrella. (don't ask. i'm spectacularly gifted at hurting myself.)

as i was sitting at the stop light, sucking my finger b/c it hurt and i had no band aid, i realized that miss left has had a worse week than i have had. i needed to suck it up and have a sunny disposition on this rainy day b/c some people (and fingers) were having worse days than i.

on that note, one of my grandmother's best friends died sunday. she was a cousin down the line somewhere -- i was always told to call her cousin lena. she lived next door to my grandmother -- granny -- until she had a stroke about 6 years ago. granny's lived in her house for 50 years; cousin lena was living in her house when my grandfather built theirs.

granny and cousin lena were great friends and their kids played together and were great friends. when i was young and stayed at granny's house after school, i used to ride bikes and play with one of cousin lena's grandsons (kevin), who stayed after school at her house. cousin lena was always soo kind to me. every afternoon, when we came in after playing "bus driver" on our bikes, cousin lena would give us lemonade and cookies. i always picked the butter cookies or the sandwich cookies with lemon filling. i always liked to put the butter cookies on my fingers (they had holes in the middle) and wear them like rings.

after kevin and i grew up and stopped playing over her house, she always asked about me and was so glad to see me when i stopped by. i feel bad that for the past few years, i've always been too busy, too wrapped up in my own self, to go see her.

nevertheless, i will always have the memory of her smile, small plastic tumblers filled with cold lemonade and flower shaped butter cookies.